Using a theme-based approach to teach is amazing, especially for homeschooling. It works with both older and younger children and can be done for different age group at the same time. They are more engaged, focused and find the themes and topics interesting.
My kids did so well in English using theme-based learning. I wondered if I could use this approach to teach my kids Chinese as well.
I started looking for materials. It is easy to find wonderful English pre-k/k theme packs online, They are complete with lesson plans, activities ideas, and printables. However, finding Chinese theme packs was impossible.
I thought about using the same curriculum that Hong Kong local schools use. I also thought about using the same Chinese textbooks. But the reason my kids aren’t in learning Chinese in local schools is because of the curriculum and structure. If I followed the local schools there would be no point in homeschooling my children.
This is why I decided to start making Chinese Pre-k/k Theme Packs. They are for both learning Mandarin and Cantonese and I figured, since I was at it, I might as well create them in both Traditional or Simplified Chinese. And now, it has been almost three years since I started.
During this journey, I have had the opportunity to meet so many wonderful parents. I have heard how these materials have helped them. This has been a great source of encouragement and motivation for me to continue making more materials.
In this post, I want to share what is inside an entire Chinese Pre-k/k Theme Pack — Colors (which is one of my favorites). Every single page is shown below with photos taken by Hiroshi Foto.
*This post contains affiliate links.
What is the Chinese Pre-K/K Theme Packs?
It’s not busy work that children do on their own or a bunch of worksheets compiled into a pack, but they are so much more than that.
STOP Dreaming START Teaching
Join us in the Teaching Chinese at Home FREE Challenges with parents from all over the world.
The Chinese Pre-K/K Theme Packs are:
- Fun and engaging hands-on activities and printables for teaching Chinese
- Enhanced learning of the Chinese language with literacy skills, math skills, logic, etc.
- Contain high-quality clipart and each page/activity are carefully designed
- Include activities for multiple age levels (age 2-6)
- Perfect for many different settings such as classrooms, small groups, language tutor sessions, homeschooling, learning at home, after-school activities, and playdates, etc.
Select from 9 different language versions:
All these different versions can assist in teaching Mandarin Chinese or Cantonese, just pick and choose the best-fit version for your family.
** Need help in understanding what version is the best fit for you? Don’t understand the relationship between all these different options in terms of teaching Chinese?
I wrote a post to explain all this for you! Click and learn more.
- Traditional Chinese 繁體字
- Traditional Chinese with Jyutping 繁體字 + 粵拼
- Traditional Chinese with Pinyin 繁體字 + 拼音
- Traditional Chinese with Zhuyin 繁體字 + 注音
- Simplified Chinese 简体字
- Simplified Chinese with Pinyin 简体字 + 拼音
- English with Traditional Chinese 英文 + 繁體字
- English with Simplified Chinese 英文 + 简体字
- English ONLY 英文
How many Themes do You have Now?
There is a total of 13 Themes currently, and more to come.
** Want to try? Free sample Chinese Pre-K/K Theme Sample Pack are available, just sign up to get access.
>>Click here and Sign up. Again, It’s all FREE!
There is also a bundle of the first 12 themes, to help save some money and save some time.
>>Click HERE to check out all the Bundles.
- Summer 夏天
- School 上學去/ 上学去
- Family 家庭
- Mid-Autumn Festival 中秋節/ 中秋节
- Halloween 萬聖節/ 万圣节
- Christmas 聖誕節/ 圣诞节
- Chinese New Year 中國新年/ 中国新年
- Spring 春天
- Easter 復活節/ 复活节
- Dragon Boat Festival 端午節/ 端午节
- Body 身體/ 身体
- Manner 打招呼
- Colors 顏色/ 颜色
- More to come…
What Supplies are needed?
What is included in each Chinese Theme Pack?
Each Chinese Pre-K/K Theme Pack is jammed with tons of math activities, literacy activities, writing exercises, common sense & logic exercises, fine-motor skills, hands-on learning, and coloring pages, etc.
There is a table content in order to easily find the activities and print the only the page or activity that is needed or print out the entire pack.
Time take a look inside the Colors Chinese Theme Pack (Full version).
Beginners, match pictures with pictures. Then as they learn the words they can match words with the correct picture.
Penmanship Practice sheets
Pick the appropriate age level writing practice sheet to trace on or write on.
Group the Right Colors
Cut out the items below and paste them into the correct color group.
Draw lines to match the pictures with the same color or with the correct Chinese characters.
Usually, puzzle pieces are in color, but not with the Colors Pack. Without colors, their knowledge of the color words can be tested and it can be a coloring activity too.
Chinese Vocabularies Clip Cards
Use clothespins to clip on the correct Chinese character or each card.
Chinese Number Clip Cards
Count the number of items on each Chinese number card, and use clothespins to select an answer.
After the puzzle pieces are prepared, spread them on the table and let the children put them back together. For more challenging work, place and spread all the puzzle pieces at the same time.
Put the whale cards in order from the biggest to the smallest or reverse.
Trace each shape with a pencil, colored pencils, markers, stickers, or playdough, etc.
Roll and Count
Print the table for each player, cut and make the dice first. And then, each player takes turn rolling the dice. Stamp the correct amount of boxes and write the Chinese numbers in the box above. After each player rolls the dice for a total of five times, write the total number of stamps and see who is the winner.
This is another common Roll and Count game: Each player takes turns to roll the dice, place ONE stamp in the appropriate box. See which color is the fastest to get all 10 stamps.
There are three levels for this game: Beginners first trace the Chinese number next to each frog, then draw lines to connect the numbers in order from 1 to 10 or 11-20.
Which One is Different?
From each group of things, pick and circle the one which is different from the rest.
Cut and paste the picture in order to complete the pattern.
Run the maze with markers, stickers, or stamps.
Addition and Subtraction
Count the number of each problem, and write them down on the answer area.
Color and trace the Chinese color words.
** Sorting exercise, coloring matching, size sorting is also included in other theme packs.
>> Click HERE to view and try the FREE versions?
What Other have said about the Chinese Pre-K/K Theme Packs
To Store the Theme Pack
Storage and organizing each Chinese Theme Pack is important, so you can keep them nice and tidy after you have done all the work with printing, cutting, and laminating.
Using just sandwich and zip-log bags are great to separate different games and puzzles pieces. But they are not as durable as we hope.
So I’m strongly recommend these durable plastic folders to store even the whole Chinese Theme Pack.
- Clear document folder letter size
- Good quality PP material, you can see through the envelope when you navigate through your files
- Open top with easy-access
- With a snap button, elegant and practical design, easy to use
- File bag size: 13.18”*9.33” (for A4 paper)
- MATERIAL: These bags are made of PVC material of good quality, soft, wear-resisting and durable, can last for a long time, not easy to break
- PRODUCT SIZE – The size of zipper bags are suitable for A4 papers, Approx 13″ x 9.4″(L*W)
- EASY TO USE – The document wallets a4 are semi-transparent with a zipper and rope hook design, easy to open and carry, and can help you to find out the documents easily.
- PACKGE:10 pcs a set, 5 different colors (Red, Blue, Yellow, Green, Clear)，2pcs per color.
- WIDE USES- Can be safe and convenient storage Office Document,Term Papers,Newspapers,Business Receipts,Magazines,Memo, Cash Coin. This zipper file bags are great organizer at home,park,school,train and wherever you need!
You Might be Interested
Chinese Pre-K/K Theme Packs
Sign up now & try the samples!