Often people ask me what tools and supplies I use for teaching Chinese and how I use these supplies in when teaching Chinese?
Honestly, finding new Chinese teaching supplies is my hobby now. Every time I go online shopping or window shopping outside, I often get distracted by stationary, board games, or the toy aisle.
Having the right amount of Chinese teaching supplies and resources is necessary for creating a Chinese rich environment in your home where Chinese language exposure is increased and incorporated into a child’s daily life including personal free play time.
Having searched Amazon, I found amazing teaching Chinese supplies on. They are affordable and improve the quality of learning Chinese.
*This post contains affiliate links
This is a huge list of Chinese teaching supplies that are appropriate for different/specific age groups and interests.
When reading the list of teaching Chinese supplies, think about what goals are to be accomplished from teaching Chinese at home.
Here is a list of areas to consider as well. Hopefully, inspiration will flow and these Chinese teaching aids will be a solution to problems you are facing.
- Family background (both Chinese speakers, only one, or none)
- Struggles of teaching Chinese at home (lack of exposure? fluency? Chinese-friendly home? Not enough fun? etc.)
- Children’s interests
- Strength and weakness of the child
- The Child’s learning style (Visual, verbal, auditory, social, intrapersonal, physical, naturalistic, or a mix of different style)
- Fluency Goals (how well do they need to speak)
Chinese Children Songs
Music is a good place to start with any teaching and in any subject. Music is a powerful tool to help relax, calm, set the tone and mood for engaging in activities and learning.
I often play classical music or Chinese children songs as background music during our school time. Especially during their Independent work or painting time, when they all sit down and quietly working on something. Interestingly they pick up new grammar and vocab from the music. Often I wonder if they are even listening to the songs or not, but they do. After a while, they repeat the lyrics or funny content of songs.
Take a look at the following great Chinese children song albums and try them out.
- 15 Chinese children’s songs in Mandarin Chinese
- Clear and beautiful female adult voice
- Easy to listen
- High quality and well-made
- Perfect for the beginners or small children
- A Review I wrote before for you to learn more about this product
- 12 Chinese children songs in Mandarin Chinese
- High-quality with a clear voice
- Easy to understand, perfect for beginners
- 14 Chinese children songs in Mandarin Chinese
- High Quality with a clear voice and pronunciation
- Simple, easy, and fun to sing along
- Perfect for beginners
- 15 Chinese Music tracks
- Perfect for kid’s meditation & yoga exercises
Having books at home is very important for children’s learning. A whole room of toys, tv, or a computer won’t able to replace the huge benefits that come from reading books.
Here is a list of benefits from reading books:
Need MORE Chinese Resources to
Teach your Kids?
- Changes our brain
- Increase vocabulary
- Improve memory
- Improve concentration
- Enhance imagination
- Reduce stress
- Better sleep
Ultimately, as parents, we want our kids to have fun while learning Chinese, right? So I prepare four lists of Chinese books all of which are available on Amazon.
Need even more Chinese books, these are digital Chinese books that are easy to get, they go along with all the Chinese Theme Packs. Also, here is a list of online Chinese book stores.
Bilingual English and Simplified Chinese
Simplified Chinese ONLY
Chinese Reader Books & Workbooks
Teaching Chinese: Writing
There are many fun and engaging ways to learn and practice writing Chinese. These are the tools I use to teach my four kids. They will use them individually or together.
These tools are great pre-writing activities to practice their fine-motor skills all while having fun doing it.
Read more about my 10 Tips for teaching young children how to write Chinese characters here.
- Just write with clean water, and the writing will disappear in a few minutes.
- The cloth can be used a 1000 times.
- The set includes 2 different water writing cloth, 1 water writing cloth in scroll style, 1 book with Chinese characters, 1 high-quality calligraphy brush, 1 water dish in an ancient style gift box.
- Wolf Hair brush set for beginners to practice
- 3 brushes (big, medium, small)
- Drawing/ writing
- Solid wood tray is measured 8″ by 8″
- Includes lid and fine grain sand
- Perfect pre-writing activity for preschoolers and up
- Mix, squish, shape, and create different things
Flashcards are another important and traditional learning tool. It is a very useful tool to learn Chinese. Some with only Chinese characters, some with English translation, some with a colorful picture to go along, and some with ALL of them.
I have grouped the flashcards in Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, and with English as well.
You may want to read more: 50 effective ways to use flashcards with young learners
Want some FREE Chinese flashcards? Click here to take a look in the Chinese Theme Packs.
- 64 Chinese flash cards (Basic Etiquette and Daily Routines, introducing Family Members, identifying Objects, identifying Body Parts, learn the Multiplication Table, tell Me What You Like or Do Not Like, tell Me What You Like to Do)
- An audio CD with recordings of songs, games and activities
- A wall chart showing the main words and phrases at a glance
- A 32-page learning guide for parents and teachers
English with Simplified Chinese
- High quality, colorful, durable cards for kids to play at home or on-the-go
- Designed to help children learn Chinese quickly and promote a love of learning. Not only can children learn Chinese, but non-English speakers can also learn English.
- 30 vocabulary cards with an English key word on one side and a Chinese key word on the other side and 4 index cards.
- The key words are commonly used words on a beach, farm, and fruit stand setting.
- 2 Sets (about Food & Daily Supplies) each 60 pieces of Educational Flash Cards with Storage Ring Set.
- Double-sided printing, one side is English words, one side is Chinese words and pinyin.
- These cards are an excellent teaching aid which makes learning great fun.
- Bright colors with the shapes of the items
- A total of 64 words, which all represent a range of sounds in Mandarin Chinese, organized into thematic categories, including: My Family, Colors, Numbers, Animals, Food, My Body, Clothes, and My Day
- It includes in this kit is an audio CD which provides native pronunciation of the words, and sample sentences for practice—sentences that children would use in everyday life.
- Subjects covered include: greetings, common classroom phrases, the four tones of Mandarin, classroom materials, numbers and colors.
- The book is printed on 60# white paper (not card stock) with vivid colors and kid-friendly, fun illustrations. Teachers can use a knife or scissors to cut out the book’s “flashcards” and laminate them for longer term use.
- 60 gorgeous full-color flashcards to practice and master the key characters of the revolutionary visual method for learning to read and write Chinese.
- Traditional Chinese only
- 98 Cards (With Audio Online) 6 boxes => 620 Character cards => 2000+ Vocabulary words
- Each box contains around 100 cards, a card frame, a list of characters and an instruction sheet.
- On each card, besides the character itself, it’s PinYin, and English meaning
- A uniquely designed Character painting to help with memory
Chinese TV Shows
- Each episode is about 7 minutes
- It is in English and Mandarin Chinese
- Excellent Pronunciation
- High quality and well-made
- Perfect for the beginners or small children
- A review that I wrote before for even more about this product
Chinese Pretend Food
Most of the people who don’t know Chinese first basic vocab and that usually includes food, like fortune cookies or dumplings. Having a couple sets of pretend Chinese food is a great learning tool and are fun toys for kids. Here is a list of the benefits of playing kitchen.
- Enhance imagination and creativity
- Increase language and Communication
- Social skills and teamwork
- Life skills
- Healthy food choice
- Fine-motor skill and more
To me, one of the biggest advantages is for my kids to try new foods — Chinese food. Because they played with the Chinese pretend food before, so they are more likely to enjoy going to a Chinese restaurant and eating these familiar cultural foods in the future. It can also prepare them to go traveling in China and have no problem eating any food there.
- Personalized with the name of your choice
- Includes 4 soft squeeze accessories
- You will receive 1 Plush set of Chopsticks, 1 Plush Fortune Cookie Crinkle, 1 Plush Shrimp Rattle, 1 Plush Rice Bowl Squeaker, and 1 Plush Broccoli Sound Toy.
- 8 piece Chinese Steamed Stuffed Buns
- Realistic multicultural play foods
- This set includes sushi roll, samosa, bowl of rice, pizza slice, taco, avocado, pita, croissant, cheese, 2 edamame, 2 shrimp, and 2 slices of kiwi.
- Bowl of rice measures 4″ in diameter
- It includes 10 pieces of fruits,8 pieces of vegetables,6 pieces of cookies,1 set of big pizza ,10 pieces of fast food and sea food, 8 pieces of Chinese dumplings and 13 pieces of cooking tools and 4 pieces of cutting tools.
- Adding Chinese element: 2 sets of chopsticks and bowls
- 100% non-toxic, and tested to meet the US safety standards for toys. BPA free, durable and safe for kids to play with
- Large and Durable Storage case
- Stir Fry Set: Easy-to-handle soft plastic pieces include a wok, tongs and to-go container and realistic food pieces include pea-pods, carrots, broccoli, peppers, celery, onions, and a fortune cookie
- Soup Set: One-piece set includes 3 noodles, 3 carrot crinkles, 3 celery chunks, 3 onion wedges, 2 tomato wedges, 2 potato wedges, ladle, 2 bowls, 2 spoons, and tureen with lid
Chinese Art & Crafts
There is a lot of benefit from making crafts, especially for kids. Can you guess which one would kids prefer? Practice handwriting on a copybook or writing down and describing the unique magical animal they just created by recycling materials?
There is power in hands-on experiences and using their creativity. Making crafts is one way to provide all thise goodness to kids.
So if you want kids to really enjoy learning Chinese(a pretty hard foreign language) what activities should we include?
Chinese Art & Crafts.
Here are different super fun and cultural Chinese craft sets that are available in Amazon. Also, we also made some simple and low prep Chinese art and crafts that can be used as well.
- Each Chinese paper cut set contains 60 pages of beautiful Chinese design for window decorations
- Size:6.7” X 6.7”
- Instructions are included
- 6 Assorted designs – This pack of Chinese dragon mix and match magnet kit features 6 assorted Chinese dragon designs. Each kit includes foam dragon template, self-adhesive foam decorations & magnets.
- Each dragon measures 6.1 x 3.7 inches (15.5cm x 9.5cm)
- Magnet size measures: 1.5 x 0.6 inches (40 x 15mm)
- Instructions are included
- Each pack comes with 10 pieces of the mobile dragon decoration
- Comes with silver hanging cord
- 2 assorted designs
- Size:approx 11.8 inches when hanging
- Plain Chinese paper lanterns to decorate with acrylic paint, markers, glitter, and beads
- Each pack comes with 4 lanterns
- Comes with a metal frame and hanging cord
- 4.7 inches diameter
- Pre-printed card Chinese zodiac wheels to color
- Assemble and spin to learn about the characteristics of each animal and the year you were born
- Size: 9 inches (23cm)
- 4 Assorted dragon designs
- Each pre-printed mask is supplied with an elastic cord and is great for dressing up and pretend play
- Mask ranges from 7.1 – 8.6 inches (18cm – 22cm) wide
The best learning environment is when kids are having fun and are happy. Toys, especially educational toys are excellent supplies to own and increase kids’ happiness while learning.
So why not get toys for our kids which are entertaining and have educational opportunities.
Below are traditional and non-traditional Chinese toys. All are great for individuals, playdates, or families to play together.
You may be interested to read this research story from Harvard Graduation School of Education about happiness & GPA.
- Keep the Foot Feather afloat using feet, knees, legs, or chest – no hands! (like hackey sack)
- You can play it anywhere
- Perfect for adults & children
P.S. here is a YouTube video on how to actual play jian zi.
- Winner of the “International Juggling Award 2015”
- High quality soft Medium Size Diabolo that wont break.
- Diameter: approx. 5 inch, weight: 8 ounces. Perfect for children and beginners
- FREE online Video with Mister M
- All in a tin can – the perfect gift
- 146 Miniature Mahjong Tiles: Each tile measures 0.8 x 0.5 x 0.4 inches (2.0 x 1.4 x 1.1 centimeters), made out of heavy, scratch resistant melamine material
- Engraved with traditional Chinese character only.
- Tile set consists of 36 circles, 36 bamboos, 36 characters, 12 dragons, 16 winds (N, E, S, W), 8 flowers and seasons, and 2 spares.
- This portable Mahjong set includes a set of three dice and four racks; Rack measures 9.8 x 0.7 x 0.4 inches (25 x 1.8 x 1.1 centimeters).
- A case is included
- Chinese style hut building assembly model children ‘s toys
- Perfect for kids who love to build
- Good for learning about China
- This tube includes a figurine of each animal of the Chinese Zodiac, including a rat, ox, tiger, rabbit, dragon, snake, horse, goat, monkey, rooster, dog, and pig
- Non-toxic and BPA free
- Includes six dolls: grandpa, grandma, father, mother, and a boy and girl doll
- Encourages imaginative role play and storytelling
- Toy finishes are all non-toxic, child safe and of the highest quality
- Adult dolls are 4.5 inches, children dolls are 3.5 inches, and baby dolls are 2.4 inches
Educational toys to promote Chinese learning is another great tool. They are toys, and they provide opportunities to learn Chinese.
I use some of these during school time. My kids play with them during free time as well. These are great.
- 32 wooden animal blocks
- Simplified Chinese, English, and pinyin
- Printed using non-toxic, mouth safe inks
- Handcrafted from sustainable Michigan basswood
- Plays the proper Chinese number pronunciations
- Colorful Chinese culture inspired illustrations under each number
- Easy to grasp pegs for developing fine motor skills
- Ecofriendly wood material
- Enhance interest in learning Chinese: Stamps with Chinese characters on the bottom, print Chinese characters on the paper and teach children Chinese characters.
- Improve grip: exercise arm strength by letting your baby hold the stamp with their hand.
- Each block has a picture, Pinyin, Simplified Chinese, and English
- Not only a tool for language learning, but also a simple and interesting domino which could train baby’s handling ability, creativity, comprehension, and intelligence.
- Come with storage bags, easy and convenient for storage and sorting of the blocks.
Chinese Board Game
Board-games are another excellent learning tool to have at home. Board-games are challenging, fun, and also require social skills and logical thinking.
We have a whole closet dedicated to board-games. When my kids are bored, they can choose to play board-games alone or with each other. It’s great to play with friends or on family night. Some board games have added learning languages aspect as well.
I wish there were more options for Chinese related board-games. Hope Amazon will have more in the future.
- Learn reading, writing, listening, and speaking with these cards
- Simplified Chinese
- Learn 52 common house objects in less than a week of play
- Board measures 9.4 x 4.9 x 1.6 inches (24 x 12.5 x 4 centimeters) when folded
- Board is small enough to conveniently travel with but large enough to play comfortably
- Complete set of playing pieces included; each playing piece is 0.9 of an inch in diameter and 0.25 of an inch thick
- Magnetic board and playing pieces
- 5 games in 1
- Wooden boards, piece is plastic
- Sliding storage makes it easier to store your pieces
- Made from Natural Wood and sports an 11.5″ diameter
- Comes with 60 wooden marbles in six distinct and brilliant colors
- This board supports up to 6 players in one game
My kids love playing Legos. Actually, I love it even though I am an adult.
Now, Legos produce so many amazing sets. Kids can create and re-create anything they want. They can be who they want to be. There are so many important skills for kids to learn by playing with Legos.
There are some pretty amazing sets specifically for Chinese culture, like the Chinese New Year, Dragon Boat Festival, the Great Wall, etc.
What a great way to play and learn Chinese at the same time.
- Turn the handle to make the dragon and dragon dancers dance and the dragon ball rotate.
- Fantastic technic moving parts for the Dragon
- Mini-figures: a dancer in pig costume and 4 dragon dancers.
- Year of the Pig
- 6 new-for-January-2019 minifigures: mum, dad, grandma, grandpa, girl and boy.
- House features an opening front door with Fu symbol sticker, rotating dining table with 6 rotating minifigure chairs, minifigure armchair, bookcase with book elements, family photo stickers, buildable TV with screen sticker, and main window with red curtain elements.
- Dining table comes with assorted printed traditional Chinese food and utensil elements including including fish, chicken, shrimp, crab, meatballs, soup, vegetables, jiaozi, tangyuan, spring rolls, rice, rice cake and a chopsticks & spoon, plus a bowl and 6 plate elements.
- Other accessory elements in the dining room include 2 red gift envelopes, 3 spring scrolls, 2 vases with flowers. The front garden features a path with paving stone elements and a green ‘grass’ base with flower elements.
- Briksmax Led Lighting Kit: Package contains dot lights, strip light, expansion boards, connecting cables, battery holder(batteries not included), adhesive squares, and instruction.
With a step-by-step instruction, you will find an easier way to make a huge upgrade to your favorite building kit.
- Limited Edition set only available in Asia countries – Dragon Boat Festival
- Includes 15 mini figures
- 3 levels (top deck, Wu’s dojo, mid-deck/hull), double-headed dragon figurehead, Wu’s bedroom with bed, a bathroom in the hull, dojo with a scroll, training dummy and weapons
- Includes 7 minifigures: Wu, Kai, Lloyd, Zane, Nya, Jay and Cole.
- Pieces – 2295
- Weapons the laser-style pointer, 4 golden sais, katanas, crossbow, black stone warrior sword, 2 golden shurikens and an Aeroblade with golden blades
- Accessory elements include 3 books, a broom, shovel, big telescope, handheld telescope and 2 fishing rods, Vermillion armor, Garmadon’s skeleton helmet, Anacondrai skull helmet, letter to Misako
- It measures over 17in (45cm) high, 21in (55cm) long and 6in (17cm) wide
- LIGHTAILING Light Set: It contains 3 USB Light kit ,Instruction guide, battery box and 1 USB connector.
- Depicting 2 turrets joined by a winding section of wall atop mountains with valleys, trees and lakes, the Great Wall of China collectible delivers a rewarding building experience for anyone with an interest in travel, history and architect toys
- This Great Wall of China souvenir measures over 4” (12cm) high, 10” (27cm) wide and 3” (9cm) deep
- 551 pieces
- The LEGO Architecture Great Wall of China 21041 model can be built together with all other original LEGO sets and LEGO building bricks for creative construction
You Might be Interested
- 8 Most Essential Homeschooling Supplies on Amazon (Fortune Cookie Mom)
- Ultimate Chinese Gift Guide for Kids: Cultural, Educational, & Fun Toys (Chalk Academy)
- The 7 Popular Educational Supplies for Chinese Teaching and Learning (Chinese4Kids)
More Tips on Teaching Chinese at Home
- Homeschooling in Chinese & English: a 1st Grader, a Preschooler, and a Toddler
- Write Chinese Characters: 10 Tips for Teaching Young Children How to Write Chinese Characters
- How to Teach Young Children to Read Chinese without Pushing Them Away
- Teaching Chinese: Chinese Pre-K/K Theme Packs
- 6 Reasons Why my Kids Refuse to Speak the Second Language
- How I Teach My Child Chinese as a Non-Native Speaker (Guest post)